10 Stunning Wordpress minimalist themes for 2014
I’m a big fan of minimalist design. And thankfully we are spoilt for choice when looking for stunning WordPress minimalist themes.
A minimalist theme is a design stripped down to its basics, without overuse of colour, shapes and textures. Not only does this convey a sense of calmness, it brings the importance of the content to the fore. Text and visuals stand out on a minimalist design, which is the main purpose of many websites.
A common misconception of minimalist design is that it should be predominately black and white. Maybe true in the eighties but not now. These days minimalist designs do incorporate colour, albeit with a restricted palette.
I’ve tried to bring elements of a minimalist design to Muddywall by just using two font colours. This is because the content is the main purpose of the website and I don’t want the website visitor to be distracted by an array of different colours.
White space is a key element of minimalist design. This can be achieved with short paragraphs in your text and by adding plenty of white space around key elements such as images.
Balance, alignment and contrast are three important design fundamentals. Balance comes in two forms: symmetrical and asymmetrical as this image from the Principles of Design illustrates:
This is just an overview of minimalist design. I don’t want to get bogged down in design principles as that’s not the purpose of this post. I want to recommend 10 stunning WordPress minimalist themes, which have already taken care of the design process. All you need to do is create the content and the source the visuals.
Here are my 10 recommendations. Some of the themes are premium but their cost is as minimal as their design. Every theme has a link to a demo site so you can give them a good test drive before a purchasing decision is made. All the themes are a Responsive design as this is essential with the increase in mobile use.
If you’ve seen any other WordPress minimalist themes that you like, then can you let me know about them in the comments below:
Requires the Genesis Framework
Featured Image Credit: Megan Youmans
- 5 great tips to promote your event on social media
- Five reasons why ReviewPro is so good for managing a restaurant’s online reputation
- Can you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Don’t ignore social media data to measure the success of your PR campaign
- How storytelling helps brands build trust with the consumer
- A stormy light ahead with this innovative lamp and speaker system
- Barbie leads the way on LinkedIn with her Showcase Page
- Amazing YouTube stats from around the world #infographic
- IKEA create a website within Instagram to showcase their new collection
- 10 Stunning WordPress minimalist themes for 2014